- Members of the military are invited to the grand opening of the Battle Creek Ohio Outdoor Laser Tag from noon to 8 p.m. to help test out the new laser tagging arsenal for free, with family members eligible for discounted laser tag upgrades. Present military I.D. at the ticket booth and family members can purchase specially priced $19 unlimited ride passes. The event takes place at Sluggers and Putters Amusement Park in Canal Fulton.
- At 2 p.m., the Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E., invites kids in grades 4 to 8 to make one-of-a-kind smoothies from a variety of healthy and delicious ingredients, then taste-test each other’s and vote for their favorite. All supplies provided. Registration is suggested for this free program. For more information or to register, call 330-832-5037, or visit www.massillonlibrary.org.
- Single Seniors will meet for a luncheon meeting at 12:30 p.m. at LaPizzaria, 3656 Dressler Road. Reservations are required, and participants pay for their own meal. For reservations, call Norma at 330-452-5889 or Bernie at 330-477-5325.
- The Senior Sing Chorus will be performing at 2 p.m. in the Bedford lobby of Aultman Hospital. The concert is free and open to the public. The program includes Broadway favorites, sing-a-longs and a musical salute to the community’s veterans. The concert will also feature local harmonica artist and Senior Sing member, Cowboy Bill Ferguson. The lobby is at 2600 Sixth St. SW. Valet parking is available.
- The Massillon Dixieland Jazz Band presents a live concert from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Massillon Senior Center, 39 Lincoln Way W. The first part of the evening will feature traditional New Orleans jazz and the second half of the program will be open to musicians, young and old, who want to sit in and jam with the band. On-street parking, as well as two-hour free parking in the parking deck behind the Senior Center building, is available to the public. Handicapped parking is also available on street level beneath the parking deck. For more information, email at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.massillonlibrary.org.
A special style show fundraiser will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 9 in the Fresco Room at La Pizzaria Restaurant on Dressler Road. The show will feature fashions by Chico's of Belden Village, a silent auction, a 50/50 drawing, special gift door prize, live music, cash bar and a delicious lunch with a choice of three entrees. Two giant screens will showcase the models and ensure convenient viewing. Popular guest speaker Janet Weir Creighton will give a speech entitled "Style for Success." Cost of the show and luncheon is $25 per person and reservations are required by June 1. For more information and to make reservations online, visit www.cantonart.org/fashion.
- Operation Kidsafe is holding a fun filled family event with food, activities and first responders with tips on how to keep you and your family safe from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at J. Michael Insurance, 1204 N. Main St., North Canton. Free fingerprints and photo. Parents take home the only record of the visit, a Bio Document that is ready to hand to law enforcement in an emergency. Safety tips to start a family safety action plan are also included. The Event is free. For more information, call 330-497-8800.
- At 11 a.m., the Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E., is offering Internet Basics an introduction to navigating the Internet and World Wide Web and an explanation and demonstration of the popular web browsers. Prerequisites are experience using a computer mouse, keyboard, and Windows. The class is free and registration is required. For more information or to register, stop by or call the 330-832-9831, ext. 327.
- The North Canton Public Library is holding a kick-off for its summer programing from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the library. Party attendees will enjoy free Milk and Honey ice cream, a visit from the Akron Zoomobile, information about the library’s summer activities and epic give-a-ways for those who sign up for summer reading clubs, which begin June 2. Everyone is invited. Programs include Children’s Summer Reading Club, Teen/Middle School Summer Reading Club and Adult Summer Reading Club. For additional information, contact 330-499-4712 ext. 331, or email@example.com.
- Charity’s Market will be held from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Spring Hill Historic Home, 1401 Spring Hill Lane, Massillon. The event is free for guests to come support local artists, business owners, and vendors. Spring Hill will also host local breweries, wineries, and coffee shops to offer tastings of their goods at $2 a taste. The house will be open for tours and Spring Hill’s Women’s Board will be selling furniture, home goods, handmade items, and a lot more. Spaces are available for local artists and vendors. For more information, contact 330-833-6749 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Massillon Museum’s "Do the Mu!" workshop will feature "Wonderful Weavings." Guests will create weavings using natural and upcycled materials. Workshop participants are invited to drop in any time from noon to 2 p.m. No reservations are required. The museum is at 121 Lincoln Way E. For more information, call the Museum at 330-833-4061 or visit massillonmuseum.org.
- Beginner students can learn "Portrait Drawing - Sight Size" at the Massillon Museum from 1 to 4 p.m. on June 9. Adults and participants 16 years of age and older are welcome. The class will be limited to six people. Students will learn the basic traditional skills of the "sight size" technique in portraiture. Supplies are included with the $25 class class fee ($20 Museum member). Pre-registration is required by June 3. Students may register by phone at 330-833-4061 by mail, or in person using cash (exact change), checks, or credit cards. The museum is at 121 Lincoln Way E.
- Kent State University is sponsoring an information session for individuals interested in starting a small business or those who are in the early stages of business formation. The session will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Kent State University at Stark Conference Center, 6000 Frank Ave. NW. The event will provide a general overview of issues related to starting a business, such as business planning, determining market demand, financing options and available community resources. There is a $10 fee for program materials. Registration and payment must be made online at www.canton sbdc.or. For more information, call 330-244-3290 or email email@example.com.
- At 10 a.m., the Massillon Museum’s History Discussion Group offers an opportunity for participants to tell about the most exotic places they’ve visited, their worst travel experiences, their favorite Ohio road trips, military tours, and even the places they want to go. Photographs will be welcome at this session. The group meets in the Fred F. Silk Community Room. The event is free and open to everyone and no reservations are required. For more information, call the Museum at 330-833-4061 or visit massillonmuseum.org.
- The Massillon Public Library presents Meditation at 6:30 p.m. with guest presenter Gwen Miller. On June 5, chapter 10 of the book Empowering Your Soul Through Meditation by Rajinder Singh. Then, on June 19, Chapter 11 will be covered. Registration is required for the free classes which are held in the library’s Second Floor Meeting Room. For more information or to register, call 330-832-9831, Ext. 312.
- At 1 p.m., the Massillon Genealogy Society presents Meet David Distelhorst, Massillon Public Library's New Genealogy Specialist. The public is invited to attend this free program. No registration is required. For more information, contact David Distelhorst at 330-832-9831, ext. 350.
- At 6 p.m., the Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E., is offering Basics of Digital Photo Editing. Learn digital photo editing with basic software on the Windows 10 operating system. Bring your photos on a flash drive for editing during the class. Prerequisites: Experience using a computer and accessing the Internet. Registration is required. For more information or to register, stop by or call the Computer Center 330-832-9831, ext 327.
- Any time between 2 and 4 p.m., stop in to the Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E., for the 2nd Saturday program: Make a Beaded Lava Bracelet. All ages are invited to make a beaded bracelet and add several lava beads if you wish. Beads of all styles and colors area available. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. The program is free and no registration is required. For more information, call 330-832-5037 or visit www.massillonlibrary.org.
- The Massillon Public Library invites children from birth through those entering sixth grade to experience "Libraries Rock!" by joining the music-themed 2018 Summer Reading Program. Registration in person begins with a Kick-Off Open House with music-themed activities from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Registration for the program will continue throughout the eight-week duration, which ends on Aug. 4. A complete schedule of events is available in the Children’s Department and on the library’s website at www.massillonlibrary.org/SRC2018 . For more information, call 330-832-5037 or visit www.massillonlibrary.org.