NORTH CANTON The North Canton City Schools Board of Education heard an update on the facilities project and the launch of the new district website from Superintendent Jeff Wendorf during the May 17 regular meeting.
Wendorf said that the district’s new website will launch soon and it will be easier to navigate. He also said that the board will vote in June on a resolution of necessity to send a request to the auditor to determine a millage rate needed for the facilities project.
“If the board approves sending the request to determine millage, then the board could vote in July on proceeding with the project and putting it on the November ballot,” Wendorf said.
- Heard from Assistant Superintendent David Pilati that the Hoover High School will host two professional development events for teachers and administrators from 22 districts in the county. The first event will host teachers and the second will be for administrators.
- Accepted a number of certified personnel resignations including Linnea Olbon, Katie Barber, Shannon Morgner, Candice Robinson, Heidi Roth, Geraldine Mercier and Natalie Vantilburg, effective at the end of the 2016-17 school year.
- Accepted several classified personnel retirements including Mary Ann Bartels, Joie Crissey, Kay Minko, Allan Redinger, Sherrey Ringer and Susan Slawson.
- Approved a list of winter sports coaches, including varsity head basketball coach Todd Blackledge, and others for girls basketball, boys and girls bowling, gymnastics, ice hockey, boys and girls swimming and diving and wrestling.
- Approved workbooks and fees for all buildings for the 2017-18 school year.
- Approved student handbooks for the 2017-18 school year.
- Authorized a contract with East Central Ohio Educational Service Center to provide the district with Mandarin Chinese classes via video distance learning, effective 2017-18 school year at a cost of $7,000.
- Approved renewing membership in the Ohio High School Athletic Association.
- Approved the list of graduates pending all requirements. There will be 380 graduating this year at 2 p.m. June 4 at the Canton Memorial Civic Center.
- Approved three out-of-state meetings, including Michael Coppa, principal and testing coordinator, for a NWEA 2017 Fusion Conference in Indianapolis; Ben Janchar, STEM teacher for Project Lead the Way Summit in Orlando, Fla.; and Rashmi Chopra, social studies teacher, to attend the AP Summer Institute in McDonald, Pa.
- Approved an out-of-state field trip for Patricia Grewell and the Vocal Music Department and approximately 90 Hoover High School students to travel to New York City to perform in the World Strides Music Festivals Competition in April 2018.
- Approved out-of-state competition for Mike Grady, business management, and five students to travel to Washington, D.C., to compete in the Junior Achievement National Leadership Summit in June with no cost to the board.
- Approved a contract with Judy Harpley for individual instructional training one visually impaired student at $145 per session for five sessions.
- Approved a contract with New Dimensions, Inc. for speech and therapy services at $120 per hour.
- Approved a five-year forecast to send to the Ohio Department of Education.
UP NEXT: The next regular meeting will be 6:00 p.m. June 21 in the media room at Hoover High School.