LAKE TWP. The Lake Local Schools Board of Education discussed naming the new and existing buildings during a work session held just before the regular board meeting.
Superintendent Kevin Tobin suggested that a decision be made on naming the new and existing buildings before the end of the school year. Some board members suggested naming all of the buildings Lake Schools and some suggested keeping the Uniontown and Hartville names and possibly adding Lake to the name.
A few examples mentioned included Uniontown Lake Elementary and Hartville Lake Elementary. Naming the high school was also discussed. The high school will become a 7-12 building and, as such, Lake Secondary School or Lake Junior Senior were suggested names for the high school.
Tobin said he will do more research and get community feedback before coming to the board with recommendations.
- Tobin announced the following administrative changes made because the district will be moving from five buildings to three. The changes include: Frank Grant will serve as principal of Uniontown Elementary (grades pre-K, kindergarten and first); Donna Bruner will serve as principal, Julie Lyberger as associate principal and Adam Booth is recommended for hire as associate principal at Hartville Elementary; and Dan Harold will serve as principal, Lee Munoz as associate principal, Steve Lippe as associate principal and Brian Reed as associate principal at Lake Middle/High School.
- Held the monthly Hartville Lion’s Club, Uniontown Lion’s Club and the Lake Board of Education recognition program. The following students and staff were recognized: Jenna Kunes and Jason (no last name provided), 3rd grade; Kellsi Higginbotham and Nolan Pastore, 5th grade; Alexis Ortman and Ethan Gullet, 8th grade; and Caitlyn Barrett and Nick Walls, 12th grade. Also recognized was Chris Baker, Teacher of the Month; Sherri Keener, Employee of the Month; and Carol Ringer, Volunteer of the Month.
- Approved a class trip to Washington, D.C., Nov. 2-4. Students will pay cost of $380 each.
- Approved two administrative contracts for Angela Harbaugh, as elementary curriculum director, and Gary Kandel as director of special services, both effective August 1, 2017 through July 31, 2020.
- Accepted two resignations and four retirements. The resignations included Steven Brinkerhoff, custodian at Lake Middle School, effective March 30 and Sean Cannon, head custodian at Lake Elementary School, effective March 31. The retirements were two bus drivers, Paige Gaughan and Nancy Johnston, and two aides, Nancy Gogel and Barbara Griffin.
- Went in to executive session to discuss employment issues. No action taken.
UP NEXT: The next Board meeting is 7:30 p.m. April 17 at Lake Middle School, 511 Market Ave. SW.