- The Little Art Gallery received two generous donations to its permanent collection and the pieces will be on display as part of the gallery’s annual permanent collection exhibit. The pieces are: Clyde Singer "Eternal Idler"1948, Oil on Masonite, a gift from Dr. Gene Gilbert; and Ferdinand A. Brader "Adolph Lincke’s Homestead, Marlboro Township, Stark County, Ohio" 1890, Graphite and Colored Pencil on Wove Paper, a gift from Carl Lincke. The exhibit will be on display through Jan. 22. The Little Art Gallery is in the North Canton Library, 185 N. Main St. For more information, call 330-499-4712.
- Registration is open for the Aultman Health Foundation's and the Eric Snow YMCA's Losin’ It program. It is an eight-week program offering health screenings, education and fitness classes to improve your overall health. Participants will be led through scheduled exercise routines. At the conclusion of the program, prizes will be given in the following categories: overall winner (weight and inches lost), most inches lost winner and full participation winner. Participants will enjoy limitless fitness classes, which will be held at the downtown Canton YMCA, 420 Third St. NW. Participants can also expect to learn and perform more than 100 different exercises during this program. It is a high-intensity program, but includes modifications for every fitness level. The cost for the program is just $9 for members and $89 for non-members. The program runs Jan. 9 through March 1. Pick up a registration form at the YMCA membership desk or call 330-458-2403 for more information.
- The Generations Bowling League will kick off with an organizational meeting at 9:30 a.m. at Strike Zone, 1222 Whipple Ave. NW, Canton Township. Take advantage of this short season bowling league which begins Jan. 12 and runs through April 13. The cost is $8 per week and includes bowling shoes and three games.
- From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today, prospective students at Stark State College can sign up for classes in one day during Express Enrollment Days on the main campus, 6200 Frank Ave. NW, Jackson Township. Students will have the opportunity to speak with admissions counselors, get financial aid squared away, take placement tests and sign up for spring classes. Students need to bring high school (and, if applicable, college) transcripts along with their 2015 income tax return (and parents’ return if a dependent). Walk-ins will be accepted, but reservations are preferred at starkstate.edu/express. For more information, call 330-494-6170, Ext. 4228 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Weight Management will be presented from 6 to 7:30 p.m. by the Aultman Weight Management at Aultman West, Door 3, 2021 Wales Ave. NW, Massillon. Are you in the group of 45 percent of Americans that make New Year’s resolutions? Come learn how to lose and maintain your weight through healthy lifestyle changes and how Aultman Weight Management can help. Reservations are required. Call 330-363-8255 or sign up at www.aultman.org.
- Children are invited to the Massillon Public Library from 6 to 7:30 p.m. for Paws to Read, where children read to an assortment of four-legged dog listeners. Paws to Read was instituted as a way to connect struggling readers to the benefits trained therapy dogs can offer. For more information, call the library's Children Department at 330-832-5037 or visit massillonlibrary.org.
- Understanding How to Manage Your Asthma will be presented from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Aultman West, Door 3, 2021 Wales Ave. NW, Massillon. With proper management, asthma can be controlled and allow for a full and active lifestyle with minimal or no limitations. Refreshments will be served and reservations are required. Call 330-363-TALK (8255) for more information, or sign up at www.aultman.org.
- Join Aultman and walk a one-mile loop in downtown Canton during the January Walk with a Doc event at 5 p.m. Those wanted to walk should meet in the lobby of the Eric Snow YMCA, 420 Third Street NW, Canton. For more information on the program, visit www.walkwithadoc.org. To learn about future Aultman walk locations or for other questions, contact 330-363-3381 or check out the complete list of events at www.aultman.com/events. In case of inclement weather, the walk will move inside The Eric Snow YMCA.
- Massillon Museum's Studio M exhibition, "St. Mary’s Church Restoration: Photography by Joe Albert" will open. The exhibit will be held in the Fred F. Silk Community Room of the Massillon Museum. The photography follows the restoration process from workers in the scaffold-filled sanctuary to the finished shining floors, sparkling windows, and fresh paint that bring new life to the 1876 National Register structure. The Massillon Museum’s Studio M exhibition may be seen during regular Museum hours, Tuesday through Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 2 to 5 p.m. For more information, call the Massillon Museum at 330-833-4061, or visit massillonmuseum.org.
- The 2017 Celebration in Art show will open from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Massillon Museum with a reception for young artists from schools throughout western Stark County. The event is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served. The Celebration in Art show includes 275 pieces of work from students at schools throughout the western part of the county, including Jackson.
- Fall Prevention will be presented by Sheree Nuske, RN, of the Aultman Trauma Center at the North Canton Medical Center, Entrance A, 6046 Whipple Ave. NW., from 2 to 3:30 p.m. During this free presentation, attendees will learn how to keep themselves, or their loved ones, safe with easy home modifications and strength exercises. Reservations are required. Call 330-363-8255 or sign up at www.aultman.org.
- The ABCs of Medicare will be presented from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Aultman West, 2021 Wales Ave. NW, Massillon. Learn what you need to know as you approach Medicare eligibility. This educational meeting will help you and your loved ones navigate through the Medicare network. Reservations are required. Call 330-363-8255 or sign up at www.aultman.org.
- Judy Katsaras will be the guest speaker during the Canton Christian Women's Connection luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Jan. 19. The theme is "Dance Teacher's Amazing Discovery." The luncheon is at The Fairways, 1500 Rogwin Circle SW, North Canton. Reservations are required and can be made by calling Sherry at 330-837-6552 or emailing email@example.com by Jan. 15. Cost is $13 and includes lunch. Canton Christian Women's Connection is a non-denominational ministry.
- Cervical Cancer: What’s New? will be presented from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Altman West, 2021 Wales Ave. NW, Massillon. Take charge of your health by knowing the facts about Human Papilloma Virus (HPV). Learn what it is, how it can progress to abnormal PAP testing, how precancerous lesions are managed and what current treatments are available if a cancer diagnosis is found. Reservations are required. Call 330-363-8255 or sign up at www.aultman.org.
The 2017 Belden Village Bridal Show will be held in Belden Village Mall beginning at 2 p.m. Jan. 21 and 22. The show will provide area couples with information on how to create the perfect wedding experience. Brides-to-be can find their dream dress at the Glam To-Go pop up bridal shop, brides and grooms can spin the prize wheel and play the Honeymoon Hunt. Each bride will receive a complimentary issue of Akron Canton Weddings magazine. Sign up for the chance to be a contestant in the Price is Right Game Show and the Nearly Newlywed Game.
- How to Give it Up and Leave the Pack Behind! will be presented from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Aultman West, 2021 Wales Ave. NW, Massillon. Let Aultman help you quit smoking in 2017 with a few tips from doctors in training. You’ll learn strategies to quit and how to continue those habits. You will have the opportunity to meet some of our patients who have successfully quit and learn about their journey toward leaving the pack behind. Reservations are required. Call 330-363-8255 or sign up at www.aultman.org.