- From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 5 and 6, prospective students at Stark State College can sign up for classes in one day during Express Enrollment Days on the main campus, 6200 Frank Ave. NW, Jackson Township. Students will have the opportunity to speak with admissions counselors, get financial aid squared away, take placement tests and sign up for spring classes. Students need to bring high school (and, if applicable, college) transcripts along with their 2015 income tax return (and parents’ return if a dependent). Walk-ins will be accepted, but reservations are preferred at starkstate.edu/express. For more information, call 330-494-6170, Ext. 4228 or email email@example.com.
- The Little Art Gallery received two generous donations to its permanent collection and the pieces will be on display as part of the gallery’s annual permanent collection exhibit. The pieces are: Clyde Singer "Eternal Idler"1948, Oil on Masonite, a gift from Dr. Gene Gilbert; and Ferdinand A. Brader "Adolph Lincke’s Homestead, Marlboro Township, Stark County, Ohio" 1890, Graphite and Colored Pencil on Wove Paper, a gift from Carl Lincke. The exhibit will be on display through Jan. 22. The Little Art Gallery is in the North Canton Library, 185 N. Main St. For more information, call 330-499-4712.
- Registration is open for the Aultman Health Foundation's and the Eric Snow YMCA's Losin’ It program. It is an eight-week program offering health screenings, education and fitness classes to improve your overall health. Participants will be led through scheduled exercise routines. At the conclusion of the program, prizes will be given in the following categories: overall winner (weight and inches lost), most inches lost winner and full participation winner. Participants will enjoy limitless fitness classes, which will be held at the downtown Canton YMCA, 420 Third St. NW. Participants can also expect to learn and perform more than 100 different exercises during this program. It is a high-intensity program, but includes modifications for every fitness level. The cost for the program is just $9 for members and $89 for non-members. The program runs Jan. 9 through March 1. Pick up a registration form at the YMCA membership desk or call 330-458-2403 for more information.
- Register now for Day Camp being offered at the YMCA Gymnastics Center for kids ages 3 to 6 (potty trained), boys age 7 and older and girls age 6 and older. The camp is half day (three hours) and includes gymnastics, games and crafts. Register one week prior. The center is located at 7241 Whipple Avenue. Call 330-498-4082 for more information.
- "Do We Always Have to Tell the Truth?" is the topic for the Socrates Cafe from 6 to 8 p.m.at the Lake Cable Clubhouse. The group meets in the Board Room. Contact Annjeanette Witmer 330-499-8973 for more information.
- The Massillon Genealogical Society presents Family Recipes at 6:30 p.m. Settle in for a long winter and enjoy the warm comfort that comes from the favorite foods of childhood. Traditional family recipes tie us to our past, our heritage, and our fondest memories. During this program, attendees are invited share their favorite food memories of childhood, some samples of these recipes if they wish, and copies of the recipes if they dare. This program is free and open to the public. There is no registration and the program is free. It is held at the Massillon Public Library auditorium, 208 Lincoln Way E. The Second Street entrance is handicapped accessible. The Massillon Genealogical Society welcomes the public to all of its meetings and programs. For additional information, call Jill Wingard at the Massillon Public Library 330-832-9831, Ext. 337 or visit www.massillonlibrary.org/genealogy .
- Success and Significance in the New Year will be at North Canton Medical Center from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at 6046 Whipple Avenue NW. During the free session, Michael Gallina will energize your heart and soul in such a way that your New Year will become significant to you and those around you. This ultimately leads to success in ways that you never imagined.
- The Generations Bowling League will kick off with an organizational meeting at 9:30 a.m. at Strike Zone, 1222 Whipple Avenue NW. Take advantage of this short season bowling league which begins Jan. 12 and runs through April 13.The cost is just $8 per week and includes bowling shoes and three games.