- Kent State University at Stark is holding open auditions at 6 p.m. Nov. 29 and 30 for the next theatrical production of the season, "Silent Sky," by Lauren Gunderson. Auditions are open to everyone, including students and community members. Auditions will be held in the Fine Arts Theatre, 6000 Frank Ave. NW. There are no roles for children in the production. Those auditioning may perform a prepared monologue, if they wish, and the director may also choose selected scene excerpts for some to perform. Performance dates are Feb. 24-25 and March 3-4 at 7:30 p.m. Rehearsals begin Dec. 18 and break for the holiday Dec. 22, resuming Jan. 3, and will occur five evenings a week until opening. Visit www.kent.edu/stark/theatre-auditions for more information about auditions for this production. Scripts and audition scene excerpts used for the auditions are available for perusal for periods up to 24 hours from the Fine Arts secretary. Call 330-244-5151 during business hours. Audition appointments are recommended, but not required.
- The North Canton Librarym 185 N. Main St., is a drop-off location for a number of charity programs. Until Dec. 2 bring your new and gently used coats of all sizes for Coats for Christmas. Through Dec. 9, help fill the Mitten Tree with mittens, gloves, hats and socks for all ages . Also with a deadline of Dec. 9, select a tag and purchase a gift for someone in need. Until Dec. 12, help out a pet by donating pet food and supplies for dogs and cats through the Holiday Paws Pantry. Visit www.ncantonlibrary.com for more information.
- The North Canton Library Black Friday promotion from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the library. Visitors will be treated to a variety of hot deals and promotions. They can have their library fines up to $24.99 eliminated. Along with the forgiveness of fines patrons will receive free coffee, enjoy adult craft supply kits and children's make-it, take-it crafts and prize drawings.
- From 2 to 4 p.m., The Young Adult Department of Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E., will present Shrinky Dinksprogram. Students in grades 7 to 12 are invited to come and create their own designs, then shrink them into tiny masterpieces. Patterns that are available include: Minecraft, Nightmare Before Christmas, Marvel and DC Superheroes, Emojis, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Scooby-Doo, Pokémon and many more. The program is free and held in the auditorium and no registration is required. For more information, call 330-832-9831, Ext. 321 or visit www.massillonlibrary.org.
Submit entries for the Gingerbread House Extravaganza at the Stark County District Library located at 715 Market Ave. N. Design and build a gingerbread creation and bring it to the Main Library to decorate the Children’s Department. For more information, call 330-452-0665 or visit www.starklibrary.org.
- Single Seniors will meet for dinner and a meeting at 5 p.m. at LaPizzaria, 3656 Dressler Road. Reservations are required by calling Norma at 330-452-5889 or Bernie at 330-477-5325.
Visit the Stark County District Library's Main Branch, 715 Market Ave. N., from 6 to 8 p.m. during Canton’s annual launch of the holiday season for entertainment, crafts and the jolly old elf himself. For more information, call 330-452-0665 or visit http://www.starklibrary.org.
- Join Stark Parks and the Stark County District Library-Perry Sippo Branch to visit with Santa from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Exploration Gateway at Sippo Lake Park, 5712 12th St. NW, Perry Township. There will be holiday crafts to take home, Santa’s live animals, cookies and milk, and a music performance by the Jacks ‘n Jills Show Choir from Jackson High School. The Exploration Gateway is a drop-off location for the Toys for Tots campaign. Purchase a Toys for Tots item from the Lily Pad Gift Shop and receive 30 percent off another toy. New and unwrapped toys can also be dropped off before Dec. 10.
- Join Aultman Hospital at 1 p.m. and walk the Downtown Louisville Leopard Mile for the December Walk with a Doc. Walk with a Doc is a year-round walking program that operates in communities across America and abroad to encourage healthy physical activity for people of all ages. A practicing family physician for 20 years, John Sutton, M.D., will lead the Aultman walk. The walk will take approximately one hour. Meet at Uptown Joe’s and learn healthy holiday eating tips and get your questions answered. Those who arrive prior to the 1 p.m. start time will receive a free eight-ounce cup of coffee or hot chocolate, courtesy of Uptown Joe’s. For more information, visit www.walkwithadoc.org.
- Stark State College is hosting Express Enrollment Days from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. which will allow students to talk with admissions counselors, get financial aid advice, take admissions tests and enjoy refreshments. Students need to bring high school (and, if applicable, college) transcripts along with their 2015 income tax return (and parents’ return if a dependent). The event will be held at the Barberton satellite Center, 664 Norton Ave. and the Downtown Canton Satellite Center, 400 Third St. SE. Walk-ins are accepted, but reservations are preferred at starkstate.edu/express. For more information, call 330-494-6170, Ext. 4228.
Chris Craft, moderator of the Massillon Museum’s history group, invites guests to bring favorite ornaments, photographs, and stories of Christmas past for the next session of the group on from 10 a.m. until noon. Everyone is welcome to bring an item or a reminiscence, but listeners will be equally encouraged to attend the "Cherished Christmas Memories" discussion. It is free and open to everyone with a story to tell or a desire to listen. No reservations are required. Coffee and pastries are available for a donation. The Massillon Museum is at 121 Lincoln Way E. For more information, call the Museum at 330-833-4061 or visit www.massillonmuseum.org.
- The Ohio Small Business Development Center at Kent State University at Stark is sponsoring an information session for individuals interested in starting a small business or those who are in the early stages of business formation. The information session will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Kent State University at Stark Conference Center, 6000 Frank Ave. NW. There is a $10 fee per person for program materials. Registration and payment of the information session must be made online at www.cantonsbdc.org. Click Orientation, then Registration and choose Small Business Orientation Stark County. For additional information, contact the SBDC at 330-244-3290 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
DEC. 9 through 11
An Advent Retreat for Men and Women-Based on The Wild Goose Series will begin at 5:30 p.m. at the Loyola Retreat House, Inc, 700 Killinger Road. The retreat, invites you to take a quiet weekend away from the commotion and noise of the world and join in observing this holy season of anticipation and preparation. The cost is $160 per person. For more information call 330-896-2315 or visit www.loyolaretreathouse.com
Santa Story Time will take place from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Lake Community Branch Library located at 656 Market Avenue SW. For more information, call 330.452.0665 or visit http://www.starklibrary.org.
Stark State College is hosting Express Enrollment Days from 2 to 6 p.m. which will allow students to talk with admissions counselors, get financial aid advice, take admissions tests and enjoy refreshments. Students need to bring high school (and, if applicable, college) transcripts along with their 2015 income tax return (and parents’ return if a dependent). The event will be held at the Barberton satellite Center, 664 Norton Avenue and the Downtown Canton Satellite Center, 400 Third St. SE. Walk-ins are accepted, but reservations are preferred. at starkstate.edu/express. For more information, call 330-494-6170, Ext. 4228.
DEC. 14 Help others conquer the cold this winter by attending Affinity Medical Center’s Transition of Care Committee’s Cookies & Cocoa for a Cause event to benefit The Salvation Army in Massillon Ohio. The event takes place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Affinity Medical Center located at 875 Eighth St. NE, Massillon in Conference Room One. With the donation of at least one new child or adult winter apparel item (gloves, mittens, scarves, coats, boots, etc.) or a minimum $5 donation attendees will enjoy hot chocolate and a baker’s dozen of cookies to go. All donations will be given to The Salvation Army in Massillon. Santa will be joining the event. Attendees will also be able to visit Affinity’s annual Festival of Trees held in the Eighth Street Lobby. For more information call 330-830-1650.