NORTH CANTON The North Canton City Schools Board of Education heard from one local resident Laura Hipp asking the district to reconsider sharing employees with Louisville City Schools. Hipp told the board she had heard that North Canton City Schools let administrators help with duties at the Louisville district. She believes North Canton City Schools shouldn’t be involved with work in Louisville.
Superintendent Jeff Wendorf said he had also received several emails expressing the same concerns as Hipp. He told the board that there were two administrators who went twice to help Louisville Schools with administrative duties.
Wendorf wouldn’t comment on who administrators were, except to say they weren’t building principals.
"School districts share resources across district lines just as municipalities share resources across city lines," Wendorf said. "If we need a bus mechanic to help us with a bus breakdown, we can ask another district for help or we would try to help another district in the same situation. It’s the same if a fire or police department from one town or township needed an assist from another," he said.
Wendorf said that all work required from the two administrators at North Canton was completed on time and students in North Canton were never put at risk.
"We didn’t share substitute teachers or have anyone from our district go in their classrooms and serve as teachers, nor did we get involved in any way with the situation between the teachers and the board in Louisville," Wendorf said.
- Approved an out-of-state convention for Jessica Zettler, English teacher and girls and boys Lacrosse coach, to attend the U.S. Lacrosse National Convention in Baltimore with no cost to the board except for the cost of a substitute teacher.
- Approved a contract with Out-of-the-Box Academy to provide behavioral consulting and services effective for the remainder of the 2016-17 school year at $80 hour for behavioral consulting and $950 observation and reporting fee.
- Approved a contract with JR Funding Support Services to provide E-Rate support services effective Nov. 1, 2016, through Oct. 31, 2019, at a cost of $2,800 annually in four equal payments of $700 in November 2016, and February, May and August of 2017.
- Authorized a contract with Ohio Casualty Insurance Company through Leonard Insurance Services of Canton to provide the district with insurance coverage for property, fleet and liability insurance from Sept. 1, 2016, through Aug. 31, 2017.
- Accepted donations as follows: $748.15 from the Middle School Parent Group to be used for the North Canton Middle School Program; $1,629 from the North Canton Rotary toward the purchase of two 50-pound portable water units; and $1,000 from Nathan Oakes for the David Magoon Scholarship Fund.
UP NEXT: The next regular meeting will be 6:00 p.m., Dec. 20 in the media room at Hoover High School. The December meeting day of the week is a Tuesday instead of the regular Wednesday.