NORTH CANTON The North Canton Board of Education approved the newly developed District Strategic Plan during its regular meeting on Oct. 19.
Superintendent Jeff Wendorf said the plan offers four sections, including Mission, Vision, Values and Goals with details listed below:
Mission: Inspire students; impact our community; change the world.
Vision: To be recognized as a trusted, leading organization for learning.
Values: Respect, grit, relationships, integrity.
Goals: Increase collaboration; improve communication, improve efficiency, establish a growth mindset culture.
"This plan is a result of hard work over the past several months of listening to staff, teachers, students and the community through the distribution and gathering of data using surveys," Wendorf said. "The values fit the district and the community. The plan tells us where we need to go and how to get there," he said. "This is just the plan. Now, the hard work begins of implementation."
Board member Susie Hertler VanVranken added, "I want to thank the administrative team for leading the staff through this big job.
"I’m impressed with how much Jeff has accomplished in the past few months. He has already accomplished a number of things he said he would and the strategic plan is one of those tasks."
- Approved a list of coaches for the winter sports season.
- Approved two overnight field trips: Tom Wilson, video production, and seven students to Columbus to participate in the Ohio School Board Association conference as the official video and broadcast team. Students will pay for their own meal and funds from Career/Tech will cover staff expenses. The second trip is for Tom Wilson and two students to travel to Columbus and Cincinnati to participate in the Global Leadership Project at no cost to the board.
- Approved a contracted agreement for the Mobile Storytelling Service Learning with the Greene County Career Center in Xenia. Greene County Career Center will pay the North Canton City School District $4,000 for the program.
- Wendorf announced there will be a community Futures Conference on Nov. 17 with place and time to be announced. There are also two Community Dialogue meeting set for Dec. 14 and Feb. 21, with time and place to be announced. He said these are community meetings where residents who live in the district are invited to attend to discuss the future of the district when it comes to facilities, programming and operations.
- Authorized establishing a petty cash fund in the amount of $100 for the Transition U. class located at Walsh University. Teacher Courtney Jeans will be listed as custodian responsible for proper handling of all receipts and expenditures.
- Approved Ski Club trips to Boston Mills Ski Resort on Jan. 8, 15, 22 and 29 and Feb. 5.
UP NEXT: The next regular meeting will be 6:00 p.m., Nov. 16 in the media room at Hoover High School.